How to reach the Moderator or list admin
How to subscribe/unsubscribe per email
- Subscribe: Send email with the word “subscribe” in the subject to firstname.lastname@example.org or click this link.
- Unsubscribe, some email readers like Gmail, Apple email show an option to unsubscribe. Or send email with the word “unsubscribe” in the subject to email@example.com or click this link
How to change preference. How to access Archives
Web access for subscription, settings and archives, subscribe, unsubscribe at https://lists.montaloma.org/
Access to archives or change of user preferences requires to register for an account. Click on “Hi, Guest” in top right corner to sign in or create a new login. This is required even if you are already subscribed and receive/send emails to the list.
Once registered you can access the archives or change preferences. important settings
- Time zone. This is used to show time of emails in archive. Default time zone is “New York” change to “Los Angeles”
- Delivery Status. Can be turned off if you read only the Archives
- Delivery Mode. All users kept Regular or Digest from old list. New subscribers will be set to Regular by default and can change here.
- Receive own postings. Default is on. BUT this does does not work for Gmail users. This is a Bug in Gmail. See here for details
- Acknowledge posts. Off by default. Recommended to turn on for Gmail. You will get a confirmation that the email was sent to the list with Subject “MLN post acknowledgment”
- Hide address. This setting is on for MLN globally. Your email is not shared with anyone in public or the subscribers. No need to change but harmless if you choose to set it on.
- Receive list copies. Recommended to keep it off. If turned on you will get 2 copies if you are on CC: One direct from the sender and another from the list
All/some email go to spam/junk folder
So far this has been reported by some users of Yahoo email. Yahoo is the service for many others like att.net, pacbell.net, aol and many more. This has happened before the transition. Please try these changes
- Login to the web interface of yahoo email. Presumably Yahoo email app on iPhone or Android may work too. Check spam folder and mark messages as not spam.
- In web interface add all addresses used by the list
- more info can be found here.
Why is my message moderated or rejected
You will get a message why it is on moderation.
If a message is rejected you may not see another reason or explanation.
- Size. Currently set at 3 MB. Please make sure to limit the size of pictures. I understand you all got high end smartphones and can make impressive pictures. Unfortunately email is not the right way to share full resolution pictures. Please reduce size or share them via link to something like Flickr, Google, iCloud, craigslist …. Make sure to not hide them behind a password. Links to Facebook or Instagram do not not work for everyone.
- moderated topic. topics creating heated discussions will be stopped and put on moderation. emails will be approved if the meet list rules or rejected if they fuel discussions, rants, are rude or otherwise inappropriate.
- moderated user. User not following the rules will be put on temporary moderation. repeated or serious offenders will be on permeant moderation. extreme offenders or spammers will be removed completely.
- Emergency moderation. If things get out of control all users will be on moderation until things cool down.
Digest isn’t working what are my options
- change to regular email. Add a filter in your email client to move them in a folder and read when desired. This keeps inbox clean.
- Turn off email delivery and read archives.
- Use a better email reader. See below some limitations of common programs.
- change to plain text digest. Be warned this looks ugly and not very useful. This is for nerds who know what they are doing.
Why is my digest unreadably/strange looking
Digest mode has greatly improved and follows all standards for email. Default format is mime digest. Digest consists of a series of attachments.
- Summary. Numbered list with the subject of each email. Just like table of content in a book
- Each email as attachment in the same order as listed in summary
This format allows to reply to the original email with correct subject and it will be added correctly in Thread view of email clients and in the archive. Unfortunately some email clients mess with this format and try to beautify it or fail to display some content. Unfortunately some email clients have bugs and do not work correct. Details for some
- Outlook, Sometimes does not display the summary. All original emails are presented in a list/array and there is no way to match it to the numbered summary. part of subject may be shown for attachment. User has to click each attachment to open the message. On the positive side this allows to reply to individual messages. Outlook versions may differ and Outlook on Mac OS is different than Windows version
- iPhone/iPad Mail. shows correct summary. All emails are listed sequentially. User needs to tap attachment to download/read/reply
- Apple Mail on Mac OS, Thunderbird, Web interface (Gmail, Horde, Roundcube) , messages are opened and shown in sequence after the summary. Pictures attached to original email are sometimes pushed to the end with no information where they came from. No option to reply to original message. Go to list archives as described above and reply to individual message from there
- Yahoo webclient. Only summary is shown. Click in bottom left On the tiny text “Show original message“ to see content of original email. Unfortunately all headers are stripped away and context is lost. its not possible to know what was the individual message.
- Others? Please report back to firstname.lastname@example.org and it will be updated here